The color China lacks

Flammy Huo, Writer

“Chinese schools are crazy; Chinese kids are so smart; Chinese people are so good at math…”

I have been hit with these statements ever since I moved to America after living in China for 17 years. What most do not know is that not every Chinese kid likes math and science or wants to go into math, science or engineering. Being capable of solving calculus problems my junior year is not because I am any smarter than others, but because the Chinese educational system made me this way. I think calculus and chemistry are easy, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy them or would want to work in those fields for my entire life.

Learning in China was a responsibility. I never really liked it because I was constantly pushed to learn things I was not interested in. Once I moved, I found my passion in music and sports, and I discovered my interest in theater. I discovered these passions because American schools provide co-curriculars and numerous extra-curriculars. These programs made my life colorful. All the choir, sports, art and theatre programs motivated me to discover what I love to learn.

There is a standard for well-rounded students to reach in China called “comprehensive development,” which includes morality, intelligence, sports, aesthetics and labor education. However, not a single element listed is found in Chinese educational systems. Chinese students lose their creativity during their childhood because they are told that if they don’t learn, their futures will be dark and hopeless. This lack of creativity is why we have Chinese versions of American things, but do not have anything original to China that is widespread to the entire world.

In China, free choice is never an option, because core class teachers would always take precedence over minor classes such as physical education, for “educational purpose.” For some Americans, physical education is the worst class, yet it is considered the favorite of Chinese students.

In contrast to my country, Americans have free will to choose what to learn. If you like music, there are choir, orchestra and band classes. If you like art, there are sculpture, jewelry and drawing classes. If you like dancing, if you like science, if you like nature, if you like reading, you have the option to take classes that suit your interests.

I have noticed that many people at BVNW ignore the numerous opportunities to discover who they are and they refuse to participate and merge into the community. Why take these opportunities for granted? Why not stay at school a little longer for a club or step out of your comfort zone in some other way to see what more there is? Value what opportunities you have, and take advantage of them.