DECA competes in ICDC

After preparing for the duration of the school year, DECA competitors carry home multiple awards from the International Career Development Competition.

Olivia Baird, Writer

The BVNW DECA team competed in the International Career Development Competition (ICDC) on May 4-6 in Atlanta, GA. Competing with students from around the U.S. as well as other countries, BVNW came home with many students placing in the top ten of their individual categories.

Senior Ian Arch and junior Joe Detmer placed first in a School-Based Enterprise event, presenting about the special orders team of the Dawg House. After their presentation, Arch said he thought the pair likely did well but the end result was unexpected.

“I didn’t know how to react,” Arch said. “Winning it was crazy. I knew we did really well; after our presentation we were really confident but I had no idea what to expect.”

Arch said the preparation for this competition has been a year-long process, but the planning of their actual presentation was last-minute.

“Technically, a couple weeks before we had been editing our projects, but really me and Joe didn’t practice until a few days before,” Arch said. “We kind of crammed it in. It probably would’ve been even better if we hadn’t crammed it all in, but it was fresh in our minds so it worked out.”

DECA sponsor Teresa Hogan said the question of who goes to ICDC is determined by how the students place in the state competition; for written events they must place first or second, and for single or team events they must get first, second or third place.

“We always do really well and we’re able to take so many students to state,” Hogan said. “This year we had 42 kids qualify, and 38 ended up going. There are some schools that never have kids make the stage, and we had that happen many times this year.”

With the success of the team this year, Hogan said she has high hopes for next year’s group of DECA competitors.

“We did phenomenally well; to get somebody to place first is really impressive,” Hogan said. “We’re losing some really strong seniors, and they will be missed, but we have strong leadership for next year. I’m very optimistic for the future.”

The following placed in the top ten:

Susie song, Principles of Hospitality and Tourism

Jackson Regan, Hospitality and Tourism Professional Setting

Abbie O’Grady, Advertising Campaign

Mei Li placed second overall in Hospitality and Tourism Professional Setting

Joe Detmer and Ian Arch placed first overall in School-Based Enterprise