“Noises Off” – a double cast play

Madison Graves, Business Manager

The theatre department will be putting on the comical play, “Noises Off,” from April 22 through April 25.

As opposed to the typical one-cast performances they usually do, two separate casts will perform this play. According to junior Alexa Summers, the theatre department had the choice to do two plays with one cast, or one play with two casts.

“[The decision] had to do with the people who tried out and however many people tried out,” Summers said. “[It gives] more than one person a shot at doing the play and playing a specific part.”

Summers said she enjoys the double-cast system because it allows the actors to build off each other.

“You get to see the way that somebody else [plays a part] so you can improve the way you do it,” Summers said. “We take notes off each other and how they [play the roles] and we kind of compare.”

Senior Austin Klein agreed with Summers, saying the double-cast gave the theatre department the opportunity to involve as many student as possible, especially helpful when the cast is as small as “Noises Off’s”.

“It’s great to see how someone else plays a role and I think that let’s the actor grow a lot more,” Klein said. “I think it’s great for them to witness and to observe more experienced actors playing the roles so they can get feedback from them.”

Junior Tasia Robinson said having two cast gives the actors more rest time between the shows.

“This is such a physical show and four shows a night would be hard on any of us,” Robinson said. “So, two [shows] per cast is perfect.”

However, Klein said having two casts causes drama teacher Steve Landes to focus on one cast at a time, and rehearsals must be split between the two casts.

“[It] leaves the memorization of the lines up to the actors,” Klein said. “It puts a lot more independence on the actors as far as what to do.”

Klein also said the double-cast will give the less-experienced actors a chance to grow and will provide variety for the audience, bringing in more people.

“If there are two casts it’ll bring in a larger audience and it will involve as many students as possible,” Klein said. “And that’s always a great thing, especially in high school theatre when it’s a learning and growing opportunity.”

Robinson agreed that Noises Off is a very demanding play for the actors and what they need to remember.

“Personally, this is the hardest show that I have done because there is so much to remember,” Robinson said. “From props, to lines, while maintaining a fast paced rhythm. But we are all smart actors who will make this the best show we can.”