The band’s new plan

This year the band’s theme will be more theatrical than it has been in the past and will feature students playing roles from the musical ‘West Side Story.’

Paige Fulenwider, Writer

Brandon Fagen

The 2016 BVNW Howlin’ Husky Marching Band halftime show will be different than in previous years serving a more theatrical theme centering on the Broadway musical “West Side Story” with students assigned to play theatrically, as well as musical roles. The show is titled “NorthWest Side Story.”

BVNW Band Director Adam Lundine said that the theatrical and musical aspect of the halftime show makes the performance better overall and more complete.

“I really feel that as a realistic halftime show, the ability to create ties between the songs that we play is really a great way to make it to one big show rather than four small songs,” Lundine said. “So, that really ties it together for one big production.”

The band is working on a more unique take on the halftime show and is working to put together a production that is better and stronger than shows in previous years with the “West Side Story” theme.

Senior Tess Sharpe, one of three drum majors, said the atmosphere of the band makes it a great organization to be part of.

“The band is really just a big family and people are very supportive of each other,” Sharpe said. “It is a very beneficial group to be a part of.”

Sharpe said the theme this year is a big change in comparison to the last couple of years.

“Well it is a lot different because my freshman and sophomore years we did very traditional marching,” Sharpe said. “We didn’t put any moves or choreography in the routine. In the past few years we’ve been putting together more moves and more sorta dance styles with the addition of the color guard.”

Sharpe said the new theme has changed the atmosphere of the band, and members of the band are excited about their performance.

I think it gives [the band] a much more lively atmosphere and it just makes people have more fun when we do it.

— Tess Sharpe

Lundine said the musical side of the performance should not have an impact on the seniors because musical-type performances have been done in previous years at BVNW.

“The theme doesn’t really affect [the seniors] a whole lot differently,” Lundine said. “The band has done several musicals like ‘West Side Story’ and in fact they have actually done ‘West Side Story’ several years before anybody that is here now was here. So [musicals are] not something uncommon for the marching band to use at the halftime show.”

Lundine said it is not beneficial to the students to play the same styles of music for the duration of their time at BVNW.

“We’re not going to play the same style of music four years in a row, that’s not very good with our students’ education to play just one style,” Lundine said. “If we give them a variety of styles in which they play or march then it gives them a much better foundation, with the music as a whole, in different styles to choose from.”

Lundine said there is a different level of excitement throughout the band this year.

“The band atmosphere is awesome,” Lundine said. “There is some kind of energy in our band I don’t feel like we’ve had in several years. It’s exciting, it’s really good to see people really excited being at band.”

The halftime show is scheduled to be performed at all home football games and various band competitions and showcases. The debut of the new show is scheduled for Thursday night during halftime of the football game with Mill Valley High School.