Review: “Nice Work If You Can Get It”

“Nice Work If You Can Get It,” a comedy about bootlegging in the 1920s, will show at the BVNW Performing Arts Center Feb. 18-20. Senior Olivia Baird attended the final dress rehearsal and offers her review of the show.

Olivia Baird, Online Editor

The BVNW theater department will put on the winter musical, “Nice Work If You Can Get It,” Feb. 18 at 7 p.m., Feb. 19 at 8 p.m. and Feb. 20 at 1 p.m. in BVNW’s Performing Arts Center.

A comedy set in the 1920s, the musical surrounds Jimmy Winter, played by senior Spencer Halverson, who gets tangled up in drama throughout the show. The plot is supplemented by extravagant costumes and sets that fit the era of the show very well.

Millionaire Jimmy Winter begins the show engaged to be married. During his bachelor party, he – illegally – gets drunk, and reveals to unassuming bootleggers that his Long Island beach house is consistently left empty. They decide to hide their stash there. Meanwhile, he gets caught up in an affair with one of the bootleggers named Billie. Jimmy spends the plot tending to his new wife and new love, along with the illegal alcohol hidden under the stairs of the home he honeymoons at.

The scenes and musical numbers each offered something new and different to the show, and it was very amusing to watch Jimmy and surrounding characters overcome the drama they encountered throughout. I was very impressed with the singing of the lead actors and actresses in the show, and the dancing from the ensemble was entertaining as well.

Halverson said those with leading roles began rehearsing in late November, but rehearsals with the full cast and ensemble picked up at the beginning of second semester.

“I feel very prepared and the show will be very good,” Halverson said. “It’s really come together in the past few days. We’re getting a lot more into character, getting the scene changes and costume changes right, and I feel much more excited than nervous about the show.”

Halverson said the audience can expect a comedic show that is fun for the audience. 

“The musical is definitely a good time,” Halverson said. “I think that anyone who comes to see it should expect some good laughs, some kissing and some dancing.”

I recommend taking time out of your weekend to make it to “Nice Work If You Can Get It.” The development of the characters and plot was very interesting, and it was all accompanied by an interesting set and good music, acting, dancing and singing.

Tickets will be sold at the door of each show and will cost $6 for students and $8 for adults.