Review: Wicked

Sophomore Lauren Fischer reviewed the Oct. 15 performance of “Wicked,” a musical that will show at the Music Hall through Oct. 18.

Lauren Fischer

A view of the stage before the show began.

Lauren Fischer, Staff Writer

The crowd buzzes with excitement. A giant map of Oz stretches across the stage, the Emerald City glittering green in the middle. The lights dim, and the metal dragon head at the top of the stage’s front begins to move, its eyes red. The map of Oz goes away, and the complex setting is revealed. People in extravagant costumes flood the stage and fill the theater with their voices.

The musical “Wicked” captivated me from the very first note. “Wicked” tells the story of the friendship between Elphaba, the wicked witch of the west, and Glinda, the good witch. However, most of the musical’s plot occurs long before Dorothy came to Oz. These two witches have a complex past, one that is full of flying monkeys, magic brooms and journeys to the Emerald City. Elphaba and Glinda meet at Shiz University, where they are assigned to be roommates. When Glinda and Elphaba journey to the Emerald City, they find out Oz may not be what it seems. Elphaba vows to make Oz right again and rebels against some of Emerald City’s policies. Glinda, on the other hand, has fallen in love with the city and decides to stay to use her “natural goodness” to help the people of the Emerald City. Though both witches have chosen a different path, they still miss each other and often wonder if they made the right decisions. At the end of the musical, Elphaba must make a difficult choice; one that will forever impact her friendship with Glinda.

The characters in “Wicked” were all very entertaining, and they brought their own funny personalities into each scene. Glinda is very comical, especially when she first arrives at school in act one. Glinda’s quirky behavior and comedic way of telling Elphaba how to dress, wear her hair and talk to boys really made the audience laugh.

All of the singing in “Wicked” was very strong. “Defying Gravity” was one of my favorite songs because it showed how talented the singers were in this musical. I could almost feel the passion for change Elphaba had, and I could see the conflict Glinda faced when she was unsure whether to go with her friend or live the life of her dreams in Oz. This song was an amazing way to end the first act, and it really got the audience excited for the second act.

Sophomore Brianne Lindemen saw “Wicked” on Oct. 13 and said the musical exceeded her expectations.

“The lead actresses were amazing, and I loved how their voices just fit so perfectly with the parts and with each other,” Lindemen said.

Another aspect of “Wicked” was the introduction of some Wizard of Oz characters; the audience learned why the characters became who they were in the movie. You get to meet the tin man, cowardly lion, scarecrow and the wicked witch of the east, and see who they were before Dorothy dropped in. There is also a great deal of foreshadowing in “Wicked,” engaging the audience by making them think of how the musical affects the original plot of the Wizard of Oz.

During the first act of “Wicked,” I thought the plot was going to be a bit basic and predictable: the popular girl forms an unlikely friendship with the weird new girl, and they end up being best friends forever. But act two totally proved me wrong. There were many twists and turns that occurred, and it kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

I really liked the themes of the musical and how relatable they were. “Wicked” taught a lesson on acceptance; not only accepting other people, but also accepting their views and opinions.

There are many aspects that make “Wicked” an extraordinary, must-see show. But it is how all those aspects come together in the end that makes it a fantastic musical.

“I love the show and I loved all the music and how it all is set up,” Lindeman said. “It was just such a great experience, and it was so wonderfully executed.”