Remembering Kaycie Johnson

Bailey Nobrega

Kaycie was involved in multiple activities at BVNW, including We The People, the BLOOM club and the bioscience strand of CAPS.

Ryan Jones, Online Editor

Kaycie JoAnn Johnson died Nov. 24. She was born July 8, 2000 in Ottawa, Kan. and is survived by her parents, Lucus and Brooke Johnson, and Corinne Hiles, and siblings Rebecca Conner, Jaden Johnson, Riley Johnson and Remmy Hiles.

Kaycie was a senior at Blue Valley Northwest and was involved in We The People, the BLOOM club and the bioscience strand of CAPS. Johnson came to BVNW after transferring from Blue Valley North following her sophomore year.

Johnson’s friend, senior Victoria Nguyen, said she will always remember Kaycie for the level of dedication she had for her friends.

“After I got to know her, she was probably one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met,” Nguyen said. “I remember she spent $60 on a Christmas gift for me this year, and I hadn’t even thought about Christmas gifts yet. She never really expected anything back either.”

Nguyen said Johnson would always tell her stories that would make her laugh uncontrollably.

“I remember one time she was complaining about her freshman homecoming date,” Nguyen said. “Apparently he showed up in a hearse, and he picked her up. Afterward, they left the dance early and he played video games the entire time. It was two years later when she told me but she was still raging about it.”

Due to her kindness, Nguyen said she now sees things differently because of Johnson.

“I see things a little different now because the way she showed how genuine and selfless you can be toward others,” Nguyen said. “I like to think that everyone should strive to be more selfless and genuine toward other people; the way she was.  

BVNWnews will be adding more information about Kaycie’s life as we talk to friends and family.