2012 BVNW graduate Garrett Fugate signs with CFL team

2012 BVNW graduate Garrett Fugate has signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

2012+BVNW+graduate+Garrett+Fugate+signed+a+two-year+deal+with+the+Montreal+Alouettes+Wednesday%2C+Jan.+24.+

Photo courtesy UCM photo services

2012 BVNW graduate Garrett Fugate signed a two-year deal with the Montreal Alouettes Wednesday, Jan. 24.

Walker Johnson, Writer

After a year off from football, 2012 BVNW graduate Garrett Fugate has signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. The former Husky quarterback inked a two-year deal with the Alouettes Jan. 24.

Although suiting up his sophomore year at BVNW, Fugate did not become the starting quarterback until his junior year. During his senior season as a Husky, he broke the school’s single-season passing yards and passing touchdowns record, with 2,032 yards and 22 touchdowns respectively.

BVNW head football coach from 2005-2016 Mike Zegunis said one of things that set the quarterback apart was his dual-threat ability.

“He’s very athletic” Zegunis said. “It’s nice having a quarterback who can throw really well and run equally as well.”

Fugate showcased his abilities as the starting quarterback at University of Central Missouri his junior and senior years, accumulating 5,915 passing yards and 1,206 rushing yards over his time as a Mule. Fugate said he began getting attention from NFL scouts after his junior year, but his severe injury at the end of his senior season hurt his chances.

Photo courtesy of UCM photo services
Fugate shows off his ability as a dual-threat quarterback during a game against Northwest Missouri State at Arrowhead Stadium Sep. 30, 2017. During his time as a Mule, he amassed 5,915 passing yards and 1,206 rushing yards.

“I had a really good senior year, but ended up tearing my ACL in the last game of the season, so I didn’t really get the NFL opportunities I was thinking I would,” Fugate said.

More recently, Fugate said, he worked out with a couple NFL teams and received a lot of positive feedback, but was told they needed more film on him. That feedback was one of the reasons behind his decision to sign with Montreal.

“[Montreal] came and worked me out in Kansas City, in November,” Fugate said. “Then they got a whole new coaching staff, and the scout who I worked out for basically said he was going to talk to the GM and they’d be in touch once they hired a new coach. When that happened they called my agent and offered us a contract.”

With seven quarterbacks currently listed on the team’s roster, Fugate said he aims to compete to the best of his ability this May when he heads to training camp. Although he said he knows it will be challenging, Fugate said his goal is to eventually win the starting position for the Alouettes.

“[Playing in the NFL] is obviously my goal,” Fugate said. “But, right now I just want to go up there and take it one day and one season at a time and help Montreal win games. I’m not thinking about the NFL or anything like that right now. It’s just all about this next season.”