Girls basketball program raises money for suicide awareness

The girls basketball program is selling white suicide awareness shirts for the double header Tues. night. The money from the fundraiser will be donated to Speak Up, a local organization dedicated to suicide awareness.

The+girls+basketball+team+partnered+with+Speak+Up+to+raise+money+for+suicide+awareness.+

Ellen Bruce

The girls basketball team partnered with Speak Up to raise money for suicide awareness.

Ellie Druten, Writer

Working with a foundation called Speak Up, the girls basketball program is selling suicide prevention shirts at Husky Halftime today Feb. 13, in preparation for tonight’s doubleheader against Mill Valley. Aimee Russell, junior Madison Gerard’s mother, is helping with the fundraiser and selling the shirts.

“Our community has recently been affected with some losses so we decided to focus our energy on [suicide awareness] and raise money,” Russell said.

Athletic Director Kevin Gerke said the girls basketball team partnered with Speak Up foundation, an organization connected to a Northwest family who had a son who committed suicide.

“Their goal is, given the recent events at Blue Valley Northwest, to bring additional attention to suicide awareness and they are indeed raising money they are then going to donate,” Gerke said.

Students, staff, and others are encouraged to buy the white shirts, selling at $15, to wear to the game tonight. At halftime of both games there will a half-court shot contest. 

“During halftime of each the girls game and the boys game, we will select five participants to shoot a half-court shot,” Russell said. “You have a minute to make the shot and if you make it you win $100 cash. We also have really nice participation prizes for everyone who is drawn.”

The girls basketball game is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m. and the boys is scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off.