Girls basketball defeated by STA on senior night

The girls varsity basketball team was defeated by Saint Thomas Aquinas, 34-55 on senior night.

Kat Flaherty

Claudia Chen, Writer

The girls’ varsity basketball team was defeated by Saint Thomas Aquinas tonight, with a final score of 34-55. With this loss, the team’s season record is 8-11. Since it was senior night, three seniors were honored before the game: guard Scout Watson, post Liz Kuhlmann, and forward Lauren Mertz.

Saint Thomas Aquinas won tipoff, and game started off with BVNW falling behind very quickly. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 3-15 and the team failed to gain a lead afterwards. The score was 14-26 at halftime, 20-39 after the third quarter, ending with a final score of 34-55. Although the game resulted in a loss, head coach Brian Bubalo said he felt the team played some aspects well.

“We played hard, and we did a lot of good things,” Bubalo said. “They were ready for us and they played a game with an incredibly great defense.”

The last time BVNW played STA in girls’ varsity basketball, BVNW fell to STA in double overtime, so Bubalo said that STA came prepared. Bubalo said although BVNW played a good game defensively, they must continue to work on their offensive plays.

“We’ve got to continue to work on our scoring,” Bubalo said. “We’ve got to continue to work on our rebound.”

While the game ended in a loss, there was still reason to cherish and reminisce the memories with the seniors on the team. For senior Lauren Mertz, this game was special because it was the last time she would share the home court with her younger sister, sophomore Mya Mertz.

“I wouldn’t have [playing with my sister and this team] any other way,” Mertz said. “She’s my best friend.”