Darien Jackson: My next step

Darien Jackson, Guest Contributor

I’ve been waiting for this moment for the past four years of my life. I’m not going to lie, the recruiting process is not as easy as it looks. I viewed the process like a rollercoaster, at one point you’re enjoying it and other points you just want to give up. But with the support I’ve had over  the past couple of years there was no way that I could possibly pass up an opportunity like this.

I would like to thank all my coaches during high school and AAU basketball, my teachers and administration, my parents, my teammates, my friends, God and everyone at Blue Valley Northwest for believing in me and helping me grow into the young man I am today. With that being said, I’m proud to announce my commitment to the University of Tulsa!

For me, Tulsa is a great fit. The relationship I have right now with assistant coach Kim English is strong. I feel like all the coaches there are really engaging with the players and they all felt like one big family. When I watch the way head coach Frank Haith works with his players I can envision myself out there playing for him. Going into the visit, the coaches at Tulsa had six keywords that I remembered; character, skill, toughness, humility, servanthood, and thankfulness. The one word that stood out to me is thankfulness. If it wasn’t for the aforementioned people who supported me throughout my whole recruitment process, I don’t know where I would be today.

I feel like all the coaches there are really engaging with the players and they all felt like one big family.

— Darien Jackson

Even though I finally found a place to call home, I’m not done yet. Before embarking on my new journey at Tulsa, I get to aim my focus on finishing out my senior year strong, hopefully bringing another state title to BVNW.