Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

With Due Lipa's first album release in February of 2017, Arts & Entertainment Editor Sara Rooney gives her take on "Dua Lipa."

Since the release of

Since the release of "Dua Lipa" in February of 2017, the singer has also released new singles like "Scared to Be Lonely" and "My Love."

Sara Rooney, Arts & Entertainment Editor

With the release of many singles throughout 2016, Dua Lipa has now officially released her first album. This album includes her singles from the past year along with numerous new songs. Her album offers a rare sound of pop music with her unique voice that sounds similar to Amy Winehouse and Katy Perry.

Her most popular single, “New Rules,” which released in July of 2017, reached No. 1 on the U.K. Official singles chart. In reaching the top spot, she also became the first female solo artist since Adele’s release of “Hello” back in 2015. Dua Lipa’s album has an overall pop tone with majority of upbeat songs followed with a few slow songs. While her songs each are unique in music style, the overall music sounds the same throughout her album. However, I was very impressed with the album as a whole and found it difficult to find songs I didn’t like. With that, here’s a rundown of the songs I liked from Dua Lipa’s first album.

“Blow Your Mind” (Mwah): Although “New Rules” is considered her most popular song on the album, “Blow Your Mind” (Mwah)  has a sassy and bold tone from the lyrics to her dancing throughout the entire video. The song goes from a low paced beat at the start to an upbeat motivating sound in the chorus. “Blow Your Mind” (Mwah) is one of Lipa’s strongest videos because of how much personality she shows in it.

“IDGAF”:

Another one of my favorites of the album. While the song is lyrically personal and sentimental, the strong beat throughout the entirety of the song make you want to dance along with it. This song stood out to me with it’s unique sound that was a different sound than most her songs on her album.

Sara’s “best of the rest”:

“Be The One”: “Be The One” starts out very slow paced with an uplifting beat. When the chorus starts its fast pace continues to hold my attention. The song stands out from other songs on the album with the sentimental lyrics about fighting for what you want. This is different from the other songs that are mostly about empowerment after a breakup. I definitely recommend this song if you’re looking for a slower catchy song.

“Thinking ‘Bout You”: This song begins with an acoustic guitar which compliments Dua Lipa’s vocals more than other songs of the album. It stays slow throughout the song, however, with the tuneful lyrics this song remains stuck in your head after a listen.

“Room for 2”: “Room for 2” is by far the most unique song in the entire album. Her raspy lower voice opens the song and is repeated throughout. This interesting sound made for a new ambiance to add to her album. If you’re looking for a new style of pop or a song that sounds like nothing you’ve ever heard before, this is the song for you.

Sara’s least favorite songs of the album:

“Dreams”: This song takes on multiple styles of music all throughout one song which I didn’t personally enjoy. It has a fast beat with lots of repetition of lyrics in the opening. Then, in the chorus, the beat slows down and a new sound is introduced which I felt didn’t flow throughout the song.

“Garden”: I initially liked the sound of “Garden” from the start with her strong voice and little background music. However, as the song continued to the chorus, the tone of her voice and the lyrics sound like she is whining. Although this song features her voice well in various parts, the overall tone sounds like whining to me which made it one of my least favorite songs of the album.

Final review:

Despite the entirety of her music sounding similar, I enjoyed the album as a whole. For a new and upcoming artist her sound is very mature and I definitely see potential in her music career with a strong first album. Definitely take a listen for a new take on pop music along with Dua Lipa’s strong vocals.

1 Comment

One Response to “Music album review: “Dua Lipa””

1. Jack Plank on December 4th, 2017 12:43 pm

LOVE the song Blow Your Mind! Really speaks to me.

[Reply]

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Lindsey Stirling’s “Warmer in the Winter” concert review

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Music review: Aikotoba by GARNiDELiA

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Can you survive this Thanksgiving?

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Which Hogwarts House should you rush?

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Music album review: Taylor Swift’s “reputation”

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Music review: Marteen’s “Sriracha” and “Try”

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

November Event Calendar

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Which boys varsity soccer player are you?

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Music review: Miley Cyrus’s “Younger Now” and Kesha’s “Rainbowland”

• Music album review: “Dua Lipa”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

What Halloween costume should you wear this year?

Music album review: “Dua Lipa”