Huskies edge Timberwolves, 59-46

The varsity girls basketball team defeated Blue Valley Southwest, 59-46, Friday Feb. 2 at BVSW. Senior forward Sarah Martin and junior guard Haley Shin each scored 11 points to lead the Huskies.

Gabe Swartz, Editor-in-chief

Blue Valley Northwest junior guard Haley Shin (11) goes up against a crowd of Blue Valley Southwest defender during the Huskies matchup with Blue Valley Southwest at BVSW Feb. 2. The Huskies defeated the Timberwolves, 59-46.

For the first time since the opening game of the 2017-18 varsity girls basketball season began, Blue Valley Northwest finds itself back at .500, after a 59-46 road win over Blue Valley Southwest Friday Feb. 2.

“I think we’ve just come together as a team and we are moving the ball better,” senior forward Sarah Martin said. “Instead of just playing as one, we play more as a team and we’re very energetic on the bench so that helps.”

Martin and the Huskies opened Friday night’s game against the Timberwolves by exchanging buckets in the opening minutes, but a 3-point basket by senior guard Bridget Harrison with 3:41 left in the first quarter gave the Huskies a 10-8 lead that they would not relent for the remainder of the evening. BVNW’s staunch defense was able to pick up consecutive defensive stops throughout the second quarter, as the Huskies made what was a 16-9 lead after the first quarter into a 32-24 lead at the break.  

Head coach Brian Bubalo said the offensive execution for his team has been sound since the new year began.

“Really since the first of the year we’ve just restructured our offense,” Bubalo said. “The girls have done a great job of learning new plays and we basically just did a total team makeover offensively and actually they’re just starting to work together at it. We’re getting better at it each game so everybody’s contributing.”

In the second half, the Huskies held complete control of the game, dictating the pace and flow of the game to pick up a 13-point win.

With the win, the Huskies extended their winning streak to four games, and moved their record for the season to 7-7. Junior guard Haley Shin, who scored a career-high 11 points offensively, said the defense for the Huskies has been what has keyed the winning ways of the Huskies.

“We’ve been working on our defense,” Shin said. “Our defense can get our offense going and I think that we’ve just really just kept our energy up and worked as a team.”

Next up for the Huskies is a trip to Bishop Miege on Tuesday, Feb. 6. Tip-off between the Huskies and Stags is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

“They have really good teams,” Bubalo said, “really talented girls, and it’ll be a challenge. We’re playing better, and we’ll go over and we’ll probably just play our game and see what happens.”

“We just have to stay composed and not worry about their success,” Martin said. “We just have to play defense and let our defense carry the game.”